Frequently Asked Questions - Waiver

Applying for tourist, visitors, B-1, B-2 to maintain status
Can a J-2 holder get a HRR 212(e) waiver without J-1?

See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question.

FAQ Transcript:

Two-Year Home Residency Requirement

In this situation, the applicant’s J-1 waiver does not cover her period in J-2 status. 9 FAM 41.62 states that if an alien is subject to the two-year foreign residence requirement, the spouse and child of that alien are also subject to that requirement. Thus, the individual you have described would need a separate waiver to cover the time that she spent in J-2 status that subjected her to the two-year home residency requirement.Two separate DS-3035 applications would therefore be required in this circumstance.

Withdrawal of a Pending J‐1 waiver

A waiver applicant who has a pending waiver application in the State Department’s Waiver Review Division (WRD) should send an email to WRD via to request withdrawal of a pending case. WRD updates the applicant’s case file and posts the withdrawal request on its online status checking system on

Two-year home residency requirement

Yes.  F visa is NOT forbidden.  But you will not be able to get an H-1, L-1 or green card unless you address the HRR through compliance or waiver.

Nonimmigrant waiver

Look into a 212(d)(3) waiver, which should allow you an entry. Ask CBP at the border how much time they need to process the waiver (usually a few weeks).

J-1 visa waiver concerns

The 212(e) can attach to even a short program. Step one, ask DOS for an advisory opinion whether you are subject to the Home Residency Requirement. The detailes are here:

J-1 Waiver Pending

Contact the Waiver Review branch in USDOS first. Figure out what is going on with your pending case. You cannot apply for more than one type of waiver at the same time.